Tender Cuban-style shredded beef stewed in a pepper tomato sauce. With slow cooker and pressure cooker instructions, you can make this delicious recipe in either your crock pot or Instant Pot!
To celebrate the release of my new cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, I thought I would share one of my favorite recipes from the book – Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja.
Not only is this recipe one of my personal favorites, but it was a hit in my household, and among my recipe testers. Rest assured, this recipe has been tested probably over a dozen times, so you know it’s a keeper!
What is Ropa Vieja? Simply put, it’s a slow cooked Cuban-style shredded beef made with green chilis, bell pepper, onion, tomato sauce, cumin, and oregano. This signature Cuban dish is also popular throughout the whole Caribbean. The result is tender, super flavorful shredded beef that requires hardly any effort to prepare!
“Ropa Vieja” translates literally to “old clothes,” drawing a parallel between the vibrant shredded meat and tattered clothing. While I’ve never tried my palate at old clothing, I’m willing to bet this tastes far superior.
Not long after finishing Paleo Power Bowls, I purchased an Instant Pot. After experiencing the full glory of this epic machine, I naturally wished I had made the purchase far sooner so that I could have included pressure cooker instructions along with slow cooker instructions.
- Serve this beef up with your choice of sides—the traditional side is white rice and black beans, if you can tolerate it. I personally love it with either rice or cabbage slaw (or both), fried plantains, and avocado.
- You can also get creative and use this to make tacos (using paleo tortillas) or Whole30 tacos (using lettuce cups).
- Leftovers make for amazing sandwiches! Toast up your favorite paleo (or gluten-free) sandwich bread for an excellent ropa vieja sammie.
- To make this low-FODMAP: omit the onion and garlic powder.
- Use either mild or hot green chilis depending on your preferred level of heat.
- When frying the plantains: replace avocado oil with any high-temperature cooking oil of choice.
And for those of you who own a pressure cooker, here are the..
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Stir together the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl or large measuring cup and set aside.
- Sprinkle the beef chuck roast with garlic powder and sea salt. Plug in your Instant Pot and turn on the Saute setting. Allow Instant Pot to heat up for 2 minutes. Add the avocado oil.
- Place the meat inside the Instant Pot and sear for 4 to 5 minutes, until the outside is deeply browned. Carefully flip the meat and sear the other side for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the beef.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and set to the Pressure Cook setting on High. Cook 60 minutes on venting. Once Instant Pot has finished its course, allow it to automatically go into the Keep Warm mode for an additional 30 minutes. Release any remaining pressure using the quick release valve. Turn off the Instant Pot and open the lid.
- Use tongs to transfer the beef to a cutting board and use two forks to shred it. Transfer the shredded beef back into the Instant Pot with the sauce and stir well so the meat absorbs the flavor of the sauce. From here, proceed with the rest of the recipe below to prepare the bowls!
Check out Paleo Power Bowls for more recipes like this! I hope this ropa vieja becomes a staple in your home, just as it is in mine!